By Michael Krull, Todd Henderson, and Kevin McLaughlin

Last fall, with everyone fully employed, our current circumstances were almost unimaginable. Yet today, with the pandemic and related economic downturn; the stock market crash; George Floyd’s death, and the resulting demonstrations, and riots, our personal and national outlooks have changed. To say the least, we have been given a clear picture of the risks we face to our own freedom if we don’t make certain swing-voter groups, such as student debtors, have futures worth fighting to defend. That’s the key.

But how should we look at our current economy and the coming election? Is the next election our biggest concern, or is it the next recession? Without rewarding solutions for groups like our student debtors, we’ll face the problems we have today, all over again. And they’ll likely be worse because it’s estimated that there are 43 million student debtors, (127,000 here in Iowa), and could be a lot of unhappy voters.

Right now, the economy is clearly recovering from the recession we’ve faced. The success of the recovery and the return to work of increasing numbers of Americans should help President Trump and conservative candidates. For that reason, why should we fear the next recession more?

The big concern comes from Americans losing their jobs again, without personal assets to sustain them, based on the experiences we’ve just had. Next time, the downturn may not be as short and Washington may not be as responsive. Actually they may make even bigger mistakes.

Let’s look at helping student debtors save and invest. This rewarding solution, being proposed by the Institute for Policy Innovation, protects Social Security recipients. Contributions from student debtors to the current system will equal 75% of their taxes. Very importantly, the other 25% will go into their personal accounts at their bank, or mutual fund, which will give them control of their finances and their futures.

As time passes, both groups will be more secure because larger numbers of former students will be supporting smaller and smaller numbers of Social Security recipients due to their mortality.

The Institute’s research shows that a 22-year-old student will be able to pay off $100,000.00 of debt and have $1 Million in assets they will own at retirement age. The secret is simple: Take the rate of compounding in Social Security from less than 1% today, to more than 6.50% in the new accounts, and you begin to solve real problems for everyone concerned.

Very importantly, our enemies count on our entitlements impoverishing Americans; filling us with despair, and making us easier to conquer. But Americans are resilient and we love our freedom. We can get this done and some senators, like our own Chuck Grassley and Joni Ernst, have already shown an interest in learning more. And there is a growing number of House members, too.

The reason you are so important is that we need your support at the ballot box to elect candidates this fall who support personal accounts for student debtors. This is where we start building assets for increasing numbers of working Americans.

America’s success, and the entire world’s, depends on your resolve. Very importantly, we come from all over the. world, to begin with. Let’s show everyone what we can do.

God bless the USA.


Michael Krull managed the Gingrich campaign for the Republican presidential nomination.

Todd Henderson is a political consultant in Des Moines operating Power Play Partners.

Kevin McLaughlin served as President of Iowans for Discounted Taxes and Chair of the Polk County Republican Party.